Try as hard as I could, last week was a "no go" on blogging. I was having trouble with my internet, Matt was out of town for most of the week and I was potty training my two year old. Excuses, excuses, I know. Believe me, it sort of felt like the Twilight Zone! It was unfortunate, too, because I was so excited to share with y'all what we did last Saturday (April 2).
I'm going to share it with you now even though it feels like it was a lifetime ago!
We thought we'd check out this Folk Life Festival here in Katy. We heard about it from one of Matt's fellow teachers. It sounded interesting and at $1.00/person there was nothing to lose. What a great historical, educational and fun experience! I know from this picture it looks like the kids didn't have fun, but we begged them to pose for us and the sun was in their eyes. As you can see from the stickers on their clothes they got to touch a baby alligator and snake. They also got to paint gourds, make rag dolls, watch old-fashioned guns being fired, eat campfire donuts, listen to some old-fashioned instruments being played, etc. That was just a fraction of the events! I highly recommend this festival for next year to all my Houston friends. I know we are going to make it a tradition. Matt and I kept saying how much we would have loved it as kids.
Now this Saturday was a little different. I had the kids by myself so I had to do things a bit more strategically. I am super-mom, but I knew I had to monitor myself or there was no way I was going to survive! I heard about an egg hunt going on in our neighborhood park so after breakfast we packed the Easter baskets and headed to the park to see what we could find. The kids scored loads of eggs filled with candy! They also had a chance to meet the Easter Bunny, but they both declined that photo opportunity. I think my fear of clowns or anything in a costume was passed along to them. Before the sugar high wore off, we headed to the YMCA. Our membership includes 4 hours of child care a day. I just love that place. I go most days. I get to pass over my darling children to the well-trained staff and have a little alone time on the treadmill. The kids love it, too. They get to go to the playground or do some sort of art project or just play with the other kids. By the time we were done at the Y it was almost lunch and nap time, but I wanted to make sure they'd sleep. So on the way home we stopped at another park just to make sure all their energy was out. After nap the kids got to watch one of their library movies, and eat dinner. Phew! We made it. We had another great Saturday.
No comments:
Post a Comment